Monday, October 20, 2008

25 years in, the only feeling is one of.....Thankfulness.


"I woke up early on my born day, I'm twenty years of blessing/
The essence of adolescent leaves my body now I'm fresh in/ My physical frame is celebrated cause I made it/ One quarter through life some God-ly like thing created/ Got rhymes 365 days annual plus some/ ...... Don't go against the grain simple and plain"
Nas- Illmatic, 1994

Today is my 25th year of existence on Earth. As I have gotten older birthdays have become less about gifts and more about the legacy and life you lead. Are you the best person you can be in this world? Do you help others and try to make other people's lives better? I woke up early this morning and thought about what I've done in my life, and thanked God for letting me see 25. I don't have to tell you some discouraging statistic about African American men in this country reaching this age due to gang violence, prison, or something else. Even living "the right way"my life could have quickly come to an end before this day. When I think about all those I know who didn't make it to a quarter century, my birthday to me really becomes a day of thanksgiving that I would be allowed to not only exist this long but really, truly, have a chance to interact and make a difference (hopefully) in my friends and peers around me. Truthfully, I should have this mentality every day, but on days such as today it gathers a greater meaning for me. To all those who remembered and sent emails, texts, phone calls, facebook messages, smoke signals, message by courier, or carrier pigeon, Thank you. And thank you for indirectly affecting me and helping me be the person I am.

No comments: