Thursday, August 07, 2008

Am I the ONLY one who thinks Brett's been a jerk?


SO apparently the Brett Favre saga is over. At least, this excruciating seven-month chapter of it is.

But in all the unnecessary coverage of this non-event, I have never heard someone really call Brett out. I mean sure, Packer management has bungled this entire thing, and it may have made the worst possible decision in trading him to the Jets this morning.
But why don’t any of these people write the real story? This is a guy who has held his team in limbo for the last THREE years like this…and now he’s a little tweaked because management tells him they’re done dancing to his beat?
People, let’s be serious. While across the same pages we are hearing people criticize LeBron and Kobe for merely saying they would “consider” playing in Europe for $50 million a year (I mean, how many things wouldn’t you do in Europe for $50 million a year?!), don’t let them turn the page and allow Brett to be treated like a guy who just “wants to play the game.”
No. It’s much more than that. If his desire to play was for sheer “love of the game,” why was that not his response to the Packers’ offer of $25 million for him to sit out? Because he was considering it! Yes, I have committed the unpardonable NFL sin. Brett Favre wants to make money just as much as he wants to play the game. And I’m being lenient, because it could be MORE.

I don’t want to beat this dead horse. Everyone has their own opinions on this issue—opinions we are forced to have after the last 2 exhaustive weeks of commentators and columnists analyzing every word and plane trip in this pitiable affair.

And for the record, the LeBron-Kobe thing wasn’t an attempt to “play the race card” either. I just don’t get how a guy who has clearly said a lot worse than “Hmm…$50 million a year would be worth considering regardless of where it is” gets scripted as a martyr and covered over by the media.

Yes media, I’ve noticed. And I object.

If you want today to be the last day you read about anything related to the Brett Favre/Green Bay breakup, then read this timeline from ESPN.com… Beyond what’s been said by either side, or who is playing where, I think the simple recall of events says enough about whose faulty decision-making and double talk created this fiasco.

Jan. 20: Packers lose NFC Championship Game to the Giants in OT

Brett says: "So close! SOOOO CLOOOOSE!"

March 6: Favre conducts retirement news conference

Brett says: "[Sobbing] It's...OVER!"

April 3: Denies rumors of a comeback

(28 days later) Brett says: "NO! I told you--I'm DONE!"

April 4: Agent reportedly contacts teams to gauge trade interest

(1 day later) Brett says: "Pssst...hey agent [sorry, don't know his name ]...see what kind of $$$ I can get in Carolina...."


April 9: Says he might consider comeback if opportunity was presented

(5 days later, only SIX after denying comeback rumors) Brett says: "Wellllll........"

June 20: Favre tells Coach Mike McCarthy he may want to play again

(2 1/2 months later) Brett says: "WELLLLLLLLLLL................"

July 2: Favre says reports of return were "all rumor"

(2 weeks later) Brett says: "...Are you serious? DIDN'T I TELL YOU GUYS I'M RETIRED?!!!"

July 6: Sends text message to Packers GM Ted Thompson

(4 FRIGGIN DAYS LATER) Brett says: "[phone] Hey Ted, it's Brett... so how're we lookin for this year?!"

Ted says: "......we???"

July 8: Favre asks for release with understanding he won't be starter

Brett says: "I can't believe...I can't believe I'm being treated like this! [Urkel voice] I don't have to take this! I'm going home..."

July 11: Packers receive letter from Favre formally requesting release

(a week and two days after denying comeback) Brett says: "'Dear Mr.'....no wait...'To whom it may'...ummm...let's try......'Aight, so look here...'"

July 16: Packers file tampering charges with NFL against Vikings

Brett says: "What? Oh you don't want me to be a Packer OR a Viking? Well guess what--I wanna be a Viking then! Screw you, Green Bay fans!"

July 19: Returns to Lambeau Field to attend Packers Hall of Fame ceremony

Brett says: "There's no place like home...when home is defined as the place where people worship the ground you walk on for winning one Super Bowl and give you unlimited power and forgiveness for doing things that you were being paid very well to do."

July 25: Favre tells Packers he plans to report to training camp

Brett says: "Leave the light on for me!"

July 29: Faxes reinstatement request to NFL

Brett says: "Please? Please please please please please please pleeeeeeeease!!!...Please?"

July 30: Meets with Packers president Mark Murphy in Mississippi
July 31: Favre offered $25 million to not report to camp

(29 days after denying comeback) Brett says: "So...I'll be older than Morten Anderson when the checks stop coming in?"

Aug. 3: NFL commissioner Roger Goodell reinstates Favre

(after 5 months of deception and indecision about HIS own retirement)

Brett says: "I'M BAAAAAAAAACK!!!!"

Aug. 4: Favre reports to training camp and is added to active roster after passing physical

Brett says: "So...WHY are you handing me kick-holder gloves again??!!"

Aug. 5: Left practice facility in the afternoon ... did not practice with the team ... met with Packers officials to discuss trade options ... tells ESPN's Chris Mortensen "the best thing for this team is for us to part ways" ... considers talking to the Buccaneers about a possible trade.

Brett says: "Guys...I've done all I can. I've been consistent. I've been honest. I tell you one thing, and you KNOW I'm gonna do the other. If you wanna dog ME out, then I'M out!!"

Aug. 6: Traded to New York Jets for conditional draft pick.

Brett says: "The Jets?...Oh...[forced] yaaaaaaay..."



-And for the record... I love(d) Brett Favre...R.I.P.

No comments: